Comelec Decision Upholds Duterte Youth Party-List Cancellation

Comelec Stands Firm on Duterte Youth Cancellation

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has reaffirmed its decision to cancel the registration of the Duterte Youth party-list. This ruling highlights the principle that the party-list system must prioritize genuine sectoral representation, not the political ambitions of influential families, local leaders noted.

Representatives from the Makabayan bloc in the House of Representatives welcomed the Comelec en banc’s ruling. ACT Teachers Representative Antonio Tinio and Kabataan Representative Renee Co jointly expressed their approval, emphasizing the importance of authentic youth representation in the country.

Makabayan Bloc Praises Genuine Youth Representation

“This decision is a victory for authentic youth representation in our country. Ang Duterte Youth ay hindi tunay na kinatawan ng kabataan kundi isang pekeng organisasyon na ginawa lamang upang palakasin ang political machinery ng pamilyang Duterte,” Kabataan Rep. Renee Co said on Friday.

She further explained that the Duterte Youth was never intended to genuinely represent Filipino youth interests. Instead, it functioned as a tool to red-tag and undermine progressive youth organizations, all while presenting itself as a legitimate sectoral representative, community members reported.

Call for Real Sectoral Groups to Be Recognized

Meanwhile, ACT Teachers Rep. Antonio Tinio urged Comelec to proclaim qualified party-list groups that were unfairly denied their rightful seats, such as the Gabriela Women’s Party. He stressed the urgent need for genuine representation of Filipino women in Congress.

“Philippine women need real representation in Congress. Every day that passes without Gabriela Women’s Party’s proclamation is another day that Filipino women are deprived of their voice in crafting laws that affect their lives and welfare,” Tinio emphasized.

He added that the absence of true women’s representation has led to inadequate responses to critical issues like gender-based violence, reproductive health, and economic discrimination against women, officials reported.

Comelec Rejects Duterte Youth Reconsideration Motion

On Friday, the Comelec en banc voted 5-1-1 to dismiss the motion for reconsideration filed by the Duterte Youth party-list on June 23. The poll body underscored that the appeal lacked substantial evidence to overturn the earlier ruling from the Comelec Second Division.

Previously, on June 18, the Comelec Second Division canceled Duterte Youth’s registration based on a 2019 petition filed by youth leaders. The petition cited the party-list’s failure to comply with constitutional and Comelec-mandated requirements for publication and hearing during accreditation, sources said.

Ensuring Integrity in Party-List Representation

This decision reinforces the need for the party-list system to serve its intended purpose: to provide true sectoral representation that reflects the interests of marginalized and underrepresented groups. The Duterte Youth’s cancellation serves as a reminder that political dynasties should not exploit the system for their own gain.

As the political landscape continues to evolve, stakeholders urge Comelec to focus on accrediting and proclaiming genuine sectoral groups that advocate for the welfare of their constituencies, rather than those serving narrow political agendas.

For more news and updates on political party-list issues, visit Filipinokami.com.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Hot this week

Postponement of 2025 Barangay and SK Elections Explained Clearly

Senator Marcos Clarifies 2025 Barangay and SK Elections Delay Senator...

Kitty Duterte Honors Duter-ten, Vows to Fight for Father and Country

Kitty Duterte Thanks Duter-ten Senators Veronica "Kitty" Duterte, the youngest...

Incognito : June 3 2025

Incognito — A 2025 action-drama teleserye that redefines the...

Batang Quiapo : May 26 2025

Batang Quiapo — Set in the bustling heart of...

Marcos appoints 2 Mindanaoans as CA justices

President Ferdinand ''Bongbong'' Marcos Jr. has appointed Edilwasif...

Related Articles

Popular Categories

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x